The Spartanburg Area Conservancy, known as SPACE, seeks outgoing, passionate, and entrepreneurial candidates for the position of Development Associate. The position will direct and/or assist in all aspects of the organization’s development program, with an emphasis on major donor development. Other areas of responsibility include fundraising events, grant writing, membership development, and social media marketing. The ideal candidate will possess a can-do attitude and a commitment to expanding the organization’s donor base through personal contact and direct solicitation. A familiarity with the benefits and principles of land conservation is preferred but not required.
SPACE is a nationally accredited land conservancy serving Spartanburg County and the surrounding area of Upstate South Carolina. Founded in 1990, we are a community conservation group committed to impactful land conservation and fostering a conservation ethic in the region.
The Development Associate will join a small but entrepreneurial and committed staff and will have the opportunity to assist in all areas of the land conservation process. This is a full-time position based in our Spartanburg office but candidates will be expected to travel extensively through our service region.
- Manage and implement a major gifts program, including one-on-one donor prospecting, cultivation, and solicitation, including planned giving.
- Be a face of the organization in the community, connecting with donors and prospects to help grow awareness and financial resources.
- Plan and manage innovative strategies for raising awareness of SPACE’s impact on and benefits to the community.
- Manage foundation grants, including research, writing, monitoring, and reporting.
- Work with the Executive Director, Board, and Development Committee to establish annual benchmarks for the Development Program and implement an annual work plan to achieve benchmarks.
- Coordinate development-related special events. Coordinate membership prospecting at other outreach events.
- Manage membership solicitations and renewals.
- Represent the organization to individuals and groups as needed.
- Implement social media marketing in the Development Program.
- Manage the donor database system.
- Manage all corporate and donor collateral materials and solicitation procedures.
- Support the Executive Director, Board, committees, and staff as required.
- The courage and commitment to develop personal relationships with SPACE’s existing and potential donors. The foundation of this job is relationship building and management.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field from a reputable institution.
- Familiarity with Spartanburg, SC, and its philanthropic community.
- Exceptionally strong interpersonal and communication skills with an outgoing, friendly, and passionate demeanor.
- Strong organizational skills and a disciplined approach to work and problem solving.
- Strong motivation and work ethic, with a relentless commitment to succeed.
- The desire and ability to travel throughout the service region as necessary to achieve development benchmarks and expand the organization’s donor base.
- Experience with database management and social media applications.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Drive to function independently and to proactively advance SPACE to donors and other funding sources.
- A passion for preserving special natural places and an understanding of land conservation’s impact on the community.
To apply please send resume and cover letter to Andrew@spartanburgconservation.org or to The Spartanburg Area Conservancy, 100 E. Main Street, Spartanburg, SC 29306.